Thursday, April 18, 2013

Leo Has His First Graduation!

While most babies are still in the womb, Leo had his first graduation! He has been moved out of the NICU and into the ICC (infant care center). This happened very quickly last night, as space in the NICU was running low and his room was needed to cater for more emergency situations. In the ICC he will need to eat and grow as well as kick his oxygen habit! He likes a little flow of added oxygen. He will also need to learn how to bottle and/or breastfeed before going home. Generally they don't start doing this until 1800 grams (Almost 4 lbs) and at 34/35 gestational age - Leo's 33 today! This is when babies develop the suck swallow reflux while breathing. The ICC is very similar to the NICU just not as intense. We still have a neonatal doctor and nurse assigned to him always available just outside of his room. The main differences are that we have a window in the room :) and the nurses focus is on getting Leo ready to go home. It's been a good transition for Leo, although I've struggled a little because I knew all of the nurses in the NICU and they knew Leo very well. Now the nurses are new and starting to get to know Leo all over again. As the days pass, I'm sure I'll get more comfortable in his new space. When a group of nurses have taken care of your baby for 28 days 24/7, it's hard just to leave and have someone else take over.

Because of the snowstorm (gotta love the April snow...NOT), Dave and I didn't go see Leo this evening. I got to see him earlier today, but I still missed him so I called the nurse. She said all was well, and reassured us we were doing the right thing staying home. She told me some stories from Leo's evening and told me what he was doing and what he looked like. It was very nice to know he was in good hands. It's still hard not being able to say goodnight to your baby. I can't wait to see him tomorrow!

1 comment: